One of my clients made Dr. Oz’s Italian Bowl and absolutely loved it. I took the original recipe, and updated it to include more ingredient and preparation details, and parsley to give it an extra kick. The updated recipe appears below.
Zucchini noodles have become popular because they taste like pasta, but are much lower in calories and starchy carbohydrates. Spiralizers are kitchen gadgets that can help turn the zucchini into noodles. I looked at the reviews of them, which led me to buy the Paderno Spiralizer and Spiralizer cookbook at William Sonoma. What an awesome device!
Comparison of Carbs and Calories in 1 Cup of Whole Wheat Spaghetti compared with 1 Cup of Zucchini Noodles
Nutrient of Note: Zucchini
Zucchini may be helpful for your eyes due to its high content of the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin. These nutrients protect against macular degeneration. Zucchini is also rich in fiber and copper, a nutrient important for making collagen, a structural protein in the body. Copper is also important for energy production and antioxidant protection. Zucchini is a good source of Vitamin C, magnesium, manganese, and potassium. A whole medium zucchini has approximately 35 calories, which makes it a weight-management superfood!
Italian Turkey Bowl over Zucchini Noodles
- 2 T canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 1b 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 can unsalted diced tomato (use the liquid, too, don’t drain)
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- dash salt (optional) and pepper
- 2 medium zucchini (green and/or yellow), turned into noodles with spiralizer
- 1 tsp parmesan cheese (reduced fat feta cheese also goes well with this recipe)
- Heat up canola oil in frying pan.
- Add onion and cook 3-5 minutes until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook for 3 additional minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ground turkey. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring and breaking it apart frequently.
- Add diced tomatoes, parsley, and basil.
- Add a dash of salt (optional) and pepper.
- Cook for approximately 11 more minutes. Temperature with a food thermometer should be at least 165 degrees before removing mixture from pot.
- Remove mixture from pot and place zucchini noodles in the pot.
- Cook noodles for 2-3 minutes. Flip with tongs as you cook it.
- Place noodles on plate, with turkey mixture over it, sprinkle on cheese, and enjoy!